23 March 2011

Details Matter.

In December, I learned about a local ministry that was birthed through some people from our church family. I received an invite on Facebook to vote for this organization, Shoes4theShoeless, so that they could win this $50,000 grant from Pepsi. I hadn't heard of the organization, so I went to their website to see what it was about.

While investigating, I saw this story: [Remember, this is December. It's cold in Ohio in December.]

There are thousands of kids all around us who do not have shoes/socks fit to wear. Just an hour ago a school nurse called me because a little girl walked to school (it is 4 degrees here with snow) in shoes with no soles. No socks either. Her feet were soaked and frozen.
Right now, shoes and socks are being taken to her, along with the 90 other pairs we are delivering this morning to 10 schools.

They give hope. Their mission is to provide properly fitting shoes to children in desperate need. They provide kids with brand new shoes that fit, along with a clean pair of socks. For some kids, it's the first time they have ever owned a brand new pair of shoes.

Long story short, I voted for the organization. A lot. So did other people, because they won the grant. Tony and I were able to go on an outing last week to deliver shoes to some area schools. God reminded me of something last week. I know He deeply cares for these kids, all of us in fact. I was reminded that He doesn't just care about us. He cares about the precious details in our lives...even down to the shoes.




I had the pleasure of meeting this little girl pictured on the left. While I was getting and opening her box of shoes, I was talking with her about different things. I peeked in the box, and oh wow, were these shoes pink! I looked up at her and asked her if she liked pink. Her eyes lit up like it was Christmas morning. She excitedly nodded her head "yes". Then, I dramatically shut the box and gave her a confused-like look. I asked: "Are you sure you like pink? I mean, really sure?" She exclaimed, "Yes! Yes! Pink is my very favorite color!" I will not easily forget her huge smile when I showed her the box of pink shoes. She saw another volunteer's shoes [on the right] and was excited that they were "shoe twins". Yes, she would have been happy for shoes that simply fit. But, God cares about the details. He made sure they were pink.



Another little girl really loved the shoes she had and thought they were pretty, but they were just too small. What a God-thing when she opened the box to see the exact same pair, only new! The picture above is of her new shoes [left] the team gave her and her old shoes [right].


Greg & Tony after a successful shoe fitting!

photos taken by Shoes4theShoeless


Are you in love yet? Want to help out with a shoe drive, a shoe delivery, or just want more info? Email Shoes4TheShoeless@gmail.com

-J

1 comment:

One chance at this life said...

That seems like awesome ministry! So cool that you guys could have hands-on involvement with it. :):)